‘Why would you want tattoos and crap they’re gonna look gross when you’re older’
damn punk since 1950
I really don’t think you understand the amount of would right now.
Always reblogging this old ass, dapper motherfuck.
Miles Better has to be the most handsome older man I’ve seen.
Josephine Baker, later known as ‘Bronze Venus’, ‘Black Pearl’ and ‘Créole Goddess’ was born in America in 1906 and later moved to France to become a singer, dancer, and actress. She was the first African-American woman to star in a major motion picture, and became famous worldwide.
Though she grew up as a maid in wealthy white households she eventually became an exotic dancer in France, famously appearing in next to no clothing, and became a French citizen in 1937.
Ernest Hemingway referred to Baker as ‘the most sensational woman anyone ever saw’ and she received approximately 1500 marriage proposals in her life time. She became a muse for Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Pablo Picasso, and Christian Dior. She had a variety of exotic pets including a cheetah named Chiquita, a chimpanzee named Ethel, a pig named Albert, a snake named Kiki, a goat, a parrot, parakeets, fish, three cats, and seven dogs.
When WWII broke out, Baker became a volunteer spy for France, and assisted the French Resistance by smuggling messages written in invisible ink on sheet music. She made great efforts to aid those in danger of enemy attack, sent Christmas presents to French soldiers, and smuggled information she gathered in Spain back to France by pinning notes containing the information on the inside of her underwear. She was awarded the Medal of Resistance with Rosette and later named a Chevalier of the Legion of Honour.
Baker also aided many civil rights movements by refusing to perform to segregated audiences and storming out of a club in Manhattan with actress Grace Kelly after she was refused service. She worked with the NAACP and spoke at a Washington march alongside Martin Luther King Jr. as the only official female speaker. Baker was actually asked by Martin Luther King Jr.’s widow to take his place as leader of the American Civil Rights Movement, but Baker declined on the grounds her twelve adopted children ‘were too young to lose their mother’.
Baker died in 1975, four days after her final show, attended by such names as Mick Jagger, Shirley Bassey, and Liza Minnelli.
Oh and she was queer and had a relationship with Frida Kahlo. All around badass.
I’d like a movie about her life too, please.
Mr Takei, I would marry you in a heart beat
- drake hit on nicki minaj and claimed he fell in love with her when they first met and invited her to get food with him and later on in the day he showed up at her door with food she took it and slammed the door in his face
- nicki minaj called out steven tyler for making a racist comment and wouldn’t let it go until he publicly apologized to her
- nicki minaj makes sure that when her younger relatives listen to her music that they listen to the clean version
- when eminem used a homophobic slur in her song she was incredibly uncomfortable about it and spoke to several people in her music team about what she should do about it
- she literally tried to give her fans instructions on how to make brownies on twitter
- I REALLY LOVE NICKI MINAJ
can i also just
- she called out perez hilton, who put on his blog “that she told rihanna to sit her ass down” and she responded with “I AM SICK OF THE SHIT YOU PUT UP! DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE THE SHIT YOU POST?”
- when nicki minaj performed her first show the stage wasn’t lightning properly and after the show she yelled at her team and the first thing that came out was “MY FANS STAYED OUT FROM 7 PM TO 1 AM TO SEE ME, THEY DON’T DESERVE THIS”
- one time after a show the crowd was so loud after a performance she went back out and performed in her robe
- she put bacon in the microwave
- even though lil wayne told her not to she bought him a brand new motorcycle with his name engraved on it
- after the American idol q&a she stayed afterwards to talk to her fans and even pushed her security guard out of the way so she can get closer
- when asked if she could donate to a can food drive she said no she couldn’t because she didn’t have any cans, but she felt so bad she donated $15,000
- this face:
- She called out sexism in the music industry while putting on her eyeliner perfectly.
- Her song “I’m the best”
- She speaks her mind and doesn’t back down.
- She is adamant about the fact that femininity doesn’t have only one definition and that femininity is powerful.
You can like or dislike her music as you see fit, but she’s an awesome person who owns her self image, and that is cool as hell.
don’t usually post things like this but I was lead. Its true.